Drama at Hillbrook
Drama provides our students with a medium for exploration, celebration and entertainment. It enables students to understand themselves and the world around them through the examination of contemporary issues and responding to dramatic scripts and performances.
Drama offers broad co-curricular opportunities that compliment the work performed in the classroom and also helps develop life skills they can apply to other situations such as:
- learning to work in a team
- building self discipline and time management
- enhancing personal confidence
- building self esteem
- developing physical coordination
- accepting responsibility for their own progress
- providing the opportunity to be creative and expressive.
When we asked our students how Drama has helped them in other areas of their life, this is what some of them had to say:
- It nurtures a more creative outlook on tasks
- Drama has taken away the nerves from delivering oral presentations.
- Learning the skill of improvisation has given me further confidence in social situations
- I have definitely become more confident in myself and it keeps getting easier to perform in front of people in other subjects such as music or Japanese.
- Public speaking and social skills, as well as being able to easily adapt to unexpected situations.
Drama has built my confidence. It helps me to think on my feet and apply active problem solving.
Oliver, Year 11
Is Drama just acting? Drama does involve acting, but doing Drama at Hillbrook has introduced me to other aspects of theatre, such as directing. This is something I have enjoyed and look forward to doing more of in the future.
Sarah, Year 10
Hillbrook School Musical
Every two years Hillbrook stages a musical which can only be described as a production of enormous proportions.
Over 100 students take part from a variety of year levels. Performed to sell out audiences, Hillbrook’s musicals have gained the respect and recognition from dramatists as being professional and memorable productions. Past musicals such as Matilda the Musical, Annie, The Addams Family, The Wizard of Oz, Grease, Pirates of Penzance, The Boyfriend and Beauty and the Beast have been one of the highlights of many students’ life at Hillbrook.
We hope you enjoy a looking back at some of our recent musicals here.
“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being”
Students are involved in a wide range of drama activities and productions that run throughout the calendar year and are well supported by students, teachers and parents alike.
We encourage our students to involve themselves in opportunities such as Theatre Sports, Basement Arts (Hillbrook’s student/teacher based theatre company) and Drama Festivals. Hillbrook Drama also invites professional local and international artists to share their skills and in turn, engage our students in modern contemporary practices.
On 12 February, our long serving Principal, Mr Geoff Newton, announced his intention to retire at...
Congratulations to the Class of 2020 on their outstanding ATAR results. Principal Geoff Newton...
I’m pretty sure I’ve been planning my senior year since primary school. There’s this one distinct...